Friday, April 3, 2015

Final Four Preview


What a tournament so far. Despite my bracket looking like the Red Wedding I have thoroughly enjoyed watching hours of this tournament…despite my hatred of the current NCAA system but that’s another post. Before I go into my preview that will inevitably be wrong I’d like to offer just a few of my favorite moments from the tournament so far.

·         Everything about Georgia State. From their coach falling off his stool seeing his son hit a game winner to the redemption of Kevin Ware these guys truly are the embodiment of March Madness.
Glad to see this guy back in the tourney.
·         The emotion that some of the coaches show for their players. It always warms my cynical heart to see a hall of famer like Roy Williams jitterbug after a victory or be brought to tears when asked about his kids after a loss. Definitely something we should see more of.

·         Notre Dame versus Kentucky. Wow. That may have been the game of the tournament and definitely one of the best I’ve seen in quite a while. Notre Dame had the perfect game plan and executed it to damn near perfection and they still lost.

Now on to what none of you asked for, my astute analysis.

Michigan State Versus Duke:
# 7 Michigan State:
What a run by these group of guys. I echoed the sentiment of Bomani Jones, who would have thought a team that lost to Texas Southern would make it out the Big Ten Tourney let alone make it to the Final Four. They are an excellently coached group but unfortunately Cinderella turns her slippers in after running into Duke. This is a team that lives and dies by the three and Duke is a team that can keep pace with you unlike Louisville. And if it comes down to free throws this is just a group that can be consistently counted upon.


#1 Duke:
This is going to be the most difficult thing I have ever written. So Krista if you’re reading this you should know I have vomited at the thought of praising the Blue Devils. That said I give praise where it’s due. Jahlil Okafor is a downright beast. We knew that coming into the tournament
Ugh.
What most of us didn’t account for were Tyus Jones, Quinn Cook and Justice Winslow all playing the best they have the entire season now that we've hit the tourney. I don’t expect this game to be a blowout but I do forsee a victory for these bastards from Durham. 

Wisconsin Versus Kentucky:
#1 Wisconsin:
There is in my opinion no team left in this tournament as annoying as the Wisconsin Badgers with their faux underdog persona. All season they have played up the scrappy band of misfits who happened to defy the odds and succeed. No, you have a team of All Americans and Mr. Basketballs and have been ranked in the top ten for the better part of the last 3 seasons. That said they have a daunting task ahead of them. Kaminsky versus Townes could be a draw, other than Dekker Wisconsin can’t keep up with the athleticism of Kentucky.  History will repeat itself.

#1 Kentucky:
This team is a modern marvel. I say that without a hint of sarcasm. Never before have I seen such a group of highly rated players put ego aside and buy into a coach’s system so readily. How else could you convince potential first round picks last season the Harrison twins, Alex Poythress, and Willie Cauley- Stein to say no to NBA millions for a chance at redemption? Take the experience of those players with the amazing play of the potential number one pick Karl Anthony Townes and there is no surprise this is a team that is on the precipice of history. Kentucky will win out and become the first every 40-0 champion.


There you have it folks. I’m the only person in America calling for a Duke-Kentucky final with Kentucky winning it all. Stand and be amazed by my individuality! Alright I’m off to shower again as speaking positively of Duke has me feeling quite dirty.

No comments: