Friday, May 7, 2010

Happy Mother's Day JD



After seeing a few pieces by friends on their mothers and realizing that Mother’s day is indeed this weekend I decided to hop on the bandwagon and write something about my mom (real original I know). I sat for a while and thought about what story I could tell to demonstrate the overall kick assness of my mother and then it hit me; there are just far too many examples (hold for awwwws).

Throughout my life there has been no bigger fan of mine. I remember being a small kid walking up to my mom and uttering the very humble phrase “short of walking on water I think I can do anything.” Rather than question her young, oddly proportioned only son, she looked at me and said only “well alright, I know you’ll do it then.” See, my childhood was loaded with confidence enhancing moments such as these which have led me to become the highly confident and magnificent mocha marvel you all know today.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the greatness of my mother. Growing up my mom was one of many across this nation who played the role of both mother and father and unlike some I know who complain of their mother in that situation as being a bit cynical or bitter my mom did it all while cracking a joke or some sarcastic comment. It showed me from a young age that while life may not always be fair, there is no need for it to crush us into a state of depression.

What other mother would let her son joke about putting her in a nursing home, or laughing at her ridiculous road rage which most of the times has her yelling at young men who are younger than her youngest children. So on this day I salute you my mother, with your irrational fear of lizards, Napoleon complex that causes people to fear you even though you’re only 5’4 (in heels), and your ability to diagnose yourself with any and every disease and illness that you see on TV. For all of the fantastic meals that you have cooked for me over the years, all of the odd phases of my youth, and all the unsolicited and at the time unwanted advice that I eventually fell back on, I am truly thankful for the mother that I was blessed with on this journey of life.

Well with all that said, all that’s left to say is thank you, I love you, and I think I’ve earned a sweet potato pie when you visit.

No comments: