Monday, March 24, 2008

Is Jeremiah Wright really that bad?

I'm sure you people have all heard about the controversy surrounding Jeremiah Wright and his comments following September 11th. If not, here are just a few brief quotes from his infamous sermon:

"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye...and now we are indignant, because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought back into our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost."

"Violence begets violence. Hatred begets hatred. And terrorism begets terrorism. A white ambassador said that y’all, not a black militant. Not a reverend who preaches about racism. An ambassador whose eyes are wide open and who is trying to get us to wake up and move away from this dangerous precipice upon which we are now poised. The ambassador said the people we have wounded don’t have the military capability we have. But they do have individuals who are willing to die and take thousands with them. And we need to come to grips with that."

Now the shocking thing to me has been the uproar caused by these statements, or more accurately how this has been negatively attributed to Barack Obama.

My first point is that we all know people and have been associated with people who have said and believe things that we do not agree with. I have family who are openly against gay marriage although I am for it, I have friends who believe things about other races that just are not true. While I have voiced my displeasure and given my opinion, it should not negatively reflect on me simply because I know these people.

Secondly, John McCain had the support of people like Jerry Falwell and has the support of Pat Robertson. How in the hell is this guy not catching any flack for it? Remember this lil' diddy from the great and moral Pat Robertson?
"You're supposed to be nice to Episcopalians, and the Presbyterians, and the Methodists and this, that, and the other thing. Nonsense. I don't have to be nice to the spirit of the Anti-Christ."

So how is that better than what Rev. Wright said?

No comments: