Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Damn Was He In His Bag or What?

Howdy friends, it's been a while since I have graced these pages with my razor sharp wit. As most of the posts come about, I was driving in to work and a song came on and I said to myself, I said "Self...this dude is in his bag on this song." And it got me to thinking, what are some other examples of someone just being in the zone on a song to the point of reaching the fabled in the bag status? Well you don't have to think about that because your boy did that for you!  

Earth Wind and Fire- Reasons 
Specifically Phillip Bailey was in his damn bag on this one.  You may remember Phillip from his other bag worthy tune, Easy Lover with Phil Collins. This song with it's falsetto from Bailey, Maurice White and Verdine White killing it in the back with the horns and the bass. I defy you to find someone who doesn't absolutely fall into a trance when this song plays. 

Let The Beat Build- Lil' Wayne
Lil' Wayne is a horrible person. That being said this era of Wayne was just a damn monster. 'Let The Beat Build' was probably in my eyes his most blatant flex of I am so good at this rap shit that I am literally going to tell you how to do this, build suspense and most of you still won't be able to do this. Frankly I think it's rude assuming the rest of us could do something like this even with a tutorial on how to do so.

Take On Me- aha
I have no idea what it's like in Norway. However if someone told me that it was as amazing as this song from aha who is from Oslo, please believe I'd be booking a flight right now. You got synthesizers, acoustic guitars, electric guitars, keyboards and a catchy as falsetto that a a brother may be guilty of singing in whenever this comes up on the shuffle. Definitely a song that if you say you don't like it, I'm looking at you funny doggie.

Never Too Much- Luther Vandross
Look I don't know if you the person reading this has ever been sprung, but buddy this song nails every step of that journey. And usually when there is a song about this kind of thing it's usually for the lack of a better phrase, corny. Oh no, Mr. Vandross dove headfirst into his bag with this one and gave us a funky, I love you jam that frankly has aged like a fine wine. Thank you Luther.

Rubberband Banks- Young Dro
Is Young Dro one of the best rappers ever? No. Is he someone who's wordplay is infectious and has one of my favorite songs of all time? You're goddamn right. Seriously, his verse at the start of this gets me SO HYPED:
"I'ma outer space balla, put you up on astronomy
  Mathematically with a pistol I do trigonometry
  Humbly, eat up a nigga like a piranha B
  Ridin' in the cuttlass same color as a bumble bee"
God damn! Again this isn't some deep lyrics, they just fun and his delivery and flow? Unparalleled. 

Don't You Worry Bout A Thing- Stevie Wonder
Stevie Wonder is one of the dopest musicians to ever walk this plane of existence. So really I could have put any song of his on here, however I chose this one due to the amazing amount of shit talking he drops at the beginning of this. Stevie was so damn smooth even I started swooning. 

While My Guitar Gently Weeps- Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood, Dhani Harrison, PRINCE
Honestly when it comes to being in one's bag there is only one person to mention on this and his name is Prince Rogers Nelson. The song is actually a Beatles song that's being covered at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but by the end of the night Prince owns that shit. There is a solo at the end of this song and Prince literally jacks the song right from the Liverpool quartet. I think the surviving Beatles should have had to sign over the masters as soon as Prince threw that guitar in the air.

Well that's it for now, stop what you're doing, add these to your daily rotation and improve your lives! You're welcome!  

No comments: