Thursday, April 5, 2018

NXT Takeover: New Orleans Preview

Ah yes, it looks like we have reached the biggest NXT show of the year and damned if William Regal and the gang down in Full Sail have not delivered another jam packed card. I honestly would not be surprised if this was the best show of the weekend and that includes the Ring of Honor show as well. Well enough of the formalities, let's jump right into it shall we?

Tommaso Ciampa VS Johnny Gargano (Unsanctioned Match)
This has been masterful storytelling. From Ciampa turning on his best friend at Takeover: Chicago and stabbing us all in the heart to Johnny Wrestling fighting his way to the precipice of a championship just to have the Blackheart Ciampa channel some of his old gimmick of the Sicilian Psychopath albeit a very measured and creepy psychopath.
What a dick.
I would expect this match to have quite a bit of brutality to it actually as this is the culmination to a story that has been going on for well over a year. In the end I think Johnny Wrestling gets the win and probably is sent up to the main roster leaving Ciampa to terrorize the NXT roster.
Winner: Gargano

Shayna Bayzler VS Ember Moon (NXT Women's Championship)
Bayzler has been perfectly presented as arguablyy the most unlikable heel in NXT women's history. Even when Charlotte Flair and Sasha Banks were heels, they were kinda cool heels that you didn't mind winning. You really want everyone to put the boots to Bayzler, I mean who tries to injure Dakota Kai? Shes adorable!
You've gone too far now.
So I would expect Ember Moon to come in with some agression that we're not used to seeing but if we're being honest she is not really needed at NXT, I think that she will drop the title to Bayzler in a close contest and move on to the main roster. Possibly Smackdown where the scene has gotten a little stagnant and could use a punch in the arm.
Winner: Bayzler

Authors of Pain VS Roderick Strong & Pete Dunne VS The Undisputed Era (NXT Tag Team Titles)
Before Bobby Fish got hurt I would have said no doubt about it , Undisputed Era wins and we would be treated more of Kyle O'Reilly using the title as a guitar. Seriously look at it, he truly is in his happy place.
But with Fish out I think this is gonna tell three stories. The first being the sheer dominance of the Authors of Pain as I would not be shocked to see them show up Monday night or even at some point during Wrestlemania. The second being a star making performance from Adam Cole (Bay-Bay!).

He is going to be in the ladder match later, and by pulling double duty along with his appearances in the Royal Rumble and the ovation he got on the main roster I think we're about to see a big push. Finally the tale of Roddy Strong and Pete Dunne making it work will be brought to fruition as frankly they are the ones who need it most and they have been KILLING it in the ring.
Winner: Pete Dunne and Roderick Strong


Adam Cole VS EC3 VS Ricochet VS Killian VS Lars Sullivan VS Velveteen Dream (Ladder Match for Inaugural NXT North American Championship)
This may be the match I am most excited for of the entire weekend. It has a debuting Ricochet ( a favorite of 'ol Puma), the return of EC3, a future feud of Hoss supremacy with Sullivan and Dain, the electric Velveteen Dream, and of course the man who plays the best shitty heel in the biz, ADAM COLE BAY-BAY! I would say that the big men will take each other out to set up the hoss fight of the year. I don't think Ricochet would win as it is his introduction to the NXT universe and they may want to build to a title run. So that leaves EC3, Adam Cole, and Velveteen Dream. I could see all three winning to be honest so this is gonna have no real logic I guess in my prediction. If I use my heart I want Velveteen Dream to win, if I use my brain though I say EC3 wins. The pop he got when he came out 2 weeks ago was insane, and I could see the NX3 chants taking over.
The time draws near.
As for Cole, I think he is destined to win the NXT Title so I wouldn't be shocked if after this he becomes #1 Contender.
Winner: EC3

Aleister Black VS Andrade 'Cien' Almas (NXT Championship)
When he first debuted with his weird suspenders and hat I was not all that impressed with Almas. Since turning heel and aligning with Zelina Vega (hey boo), he has become someone I could see as a future world champion. Someone who from the first time he appeared on NXT TV I knew was going to be a champion was Aleister Black.
Extremely methodical and cerebral he has shown more of his personality in his last few feuds with Velveteen Dream and the Undisputed Era. I could see Almas being moved up to Smackdown so I think we are about to Fade to Black in NXT.
Winner: Aleister Black

Well there you have it, even if all of these are wrong I have zero doubts that I'll be left with any complaints.

No comments: