Monday, February 1, 2010

Hip-Hop How I Love Thee…

For all those that know me they know I love the music of Common and I love Chicago. So for that very reason alone you may have deduced that my favorite song from the South side MC is “The Corner.” After the general panning of his previous album there was much pressure to come back with a “Common album” and the man did not disappoint. The first single released was The Corner. With a slick beat from Kanye West who was at his scene stealing best with this beat and topped off with a phenomenal appearance by the Last Poets one would find it hard to disagree with Steve Juon of RapReviews.com assesment that the lyrical content of Common on this trackcontain profound observations of urban life that show why hip hop is the "black man's CNN.”

So in an age where hip-hop is constantly being bashed for being misogynistic and driven by excess, I would challenge you all to take a minute and as a friend of mine stated on numerous occasions “listen to the words, not for the words.” Simply meaning that because a song has profanity it does not take away from the creativity and originality of the genre, which has infused itself with every part of our culture. For you hip-hop novices allow me to give you five tracks you must listen to in no particular order.
5. Juicy: Notorious B.I.G.
4. Talib Kweli and DJ Hi-Tek: The Blast
3. Outkast: Spottieottiedopalicious
2. Jay-Z: Mama Loved Me
1.Common: I Used to Love H.E.R.

Well friends go out there and immerse yourself in the real hip hop music, it will be a decision you will not regret.

No comments: