Thursday, September 5, 2024

The NFL Season is Amongst Us

 Oh man, it has been a long time and boy have I missed you my loyal group of probably 5 readers at this point. Long time readers and friends of your boy will attest that your boy loves a few things. Family, friends and being a sports fan. Baseball, basketball, and of course football. Well as I type this we are on the precipice of the kickoff of the new NFL season and ya boy is undoubtedly hyped to levels that are bad for my joints as I jump in excitement. So it is in that spirit that I present you, person reading this and no doubt did not ask for this, some takes and predictions for the upcoming season. Are they hot takes? Mild takes? Who the hell knows, just celebrate the fact that I am writing and football is here.

*The Bears have a new quarterback and I am ready to love again.

Caleb Williams to no one’s surprise was the number 1 overall pick and with much trepidation at first I’m all in after seeing him perform on Hard Knocks and in the preseason. He has the arm strength, mobility and processing speed that we've never seen in Chicago. What can’t be measured is it just appears that he has it. I know, I know, that’s not something I that can be measured but you know it when you see it. Long story short, Caleb I’m ready to do this baby. 

*The Falcons remain a deeply confusing team.

The Falcons have had a solid offseason. They got a new coach, signed Justin Simmons, and traded for Matthew Judon. They also for reasons unknown gave an older quarterback with an achilles injury a metric crap ton of money. Then they went full Falcons and spent a top 10 pick on another quarterback. I have no idea how to gauge this team but damn it’s always interesting to see how they decide to confuse us.

*The NFC North will be the most competitive division.

The Lions and Packers both made the playoffs, the Bears and Vikings both were in it coming into the last few weeks of the season. Given that every team has improved in a way I would imagine even the last place team getting 8 wins.

A few award predictions:

MVP: Joe Burrow, QB- Cincinnati

Burrow is coming off an injury filled season but when he has played he has done so at a high level. This year he gets Ja’Marr Chase playing for a big contract, Tee Higgins playing for a big contract and a coach who likes to air it out. I think Mahomes/Lamar Jackson fatigue in conjunction with  big numbers from Cincy gets him the award. 

Offensive Player of the Year: Christian McCaffrey, RB- San Francisco

On thing about Kyle Shanahan is when he finds a guy he feels he can unlock in his offense they get plenty of opportunities. Pair that up with McCaffrey being a damn monster out there he would not shock me if he tops 20 total touchdowns this year and then gets completely ignored by his coach in the playoffs thus completing another confounding end to a team that realistically could have 2 Super Bowls right now.

Defensive Player of the Year: Micah Parsons, LB- Dallas

Micah is a beast. And when you pair the beastdom with the expiring contract someone is going to be going full scorched earth to try and make Jerry Jones completely reset the defensive end/linebacker market.

Coach of the Year: Matt Eberflus- Chicago

The 2nd half of last season when he took over the defensive play calling we saw a different Bears team. With all of the upgrades and a confidence in his decision making from Poles and the front office I believe the Bears are poised for a playoff return and I wouldn’t be shocked if they even won a game.

Offensive Rookie: Caleb Williams, QB-Chicago

See point 1 above.

Defensive Rookie: Laiatu Latu

Latu thought his career was over but going to UCLA revitalized him. I would expect the Indy defense to rely on the first real help DeForest Buckner has had on the defensive line and he will have a double digit sack season.

 

Super Bowl:

Kansas City vs Green Bay:

As I have said the past few years, I for one will not be betting against Patrick Lavon Mahomes II.


Kansas City - 34

Green Bay -    21

Well there you have it. The predictions of a man who got an A+ grade on his fantasy football draft according to the fine folks at Yahoo and I think we can thrust them.

 

No comments: