Monday, April 22, 2019

To My Boy on His 2nd Anniversary Escaping the Womb

Another trip around the sun so you know what that means...another rambling and long winded ode to my son. So if you came here petty roasting or sports takes you didn't ask for then come back, I promise I got you next post. 

Two years ago today I sat there in a hospital room, in awe of my wife and terrified in the moments leading up to his arrival in the world. Here I was, a guy who was scared of clowns and laughed (quite heartily I might add) at dick and fart jokes.
I got this baby for straight cash! 
What business did i have with this precious gift? He was born quickly and on his due date (my boy is very punctual) and as he sat there being weighed and I eagerly counted fingers and toes, and thanked sweet 7 lb, 8 oz baby Jesus he had not been born with my hairline.  

In the 2 years since his birth every day has been a journey of learning something new. In recent months he has become quite the talker. Every day I walk into his room and I am greeted with a "DADA!" He then tells me how he's going to go "night-night" and proceeds to jump under his covers for a solid 5 minutes. It's really quite funny and he is really quite the goof ball which has me filled with joy because I too, am a goof.
A true Sox fan, he just doesn't know it yet.
And what I am most impressed by with him is his timing with his pettiness. For instance, one day his mother asked the obvious rhetorical question " is dada handsome?" With a confused look and a side eye he remarked "I handsome." Leaving me to just sit there and absorb the burn dished out by a child who still poops his pants.

As anyone who knows me can attest, I love sports. As the boy gets older he now has begun to show an interest in the thing I love most (non people related of course.)
Let me show you the ol' Thompson spin move. 
I'm not gonna lie, when he got so excited to see me shoot baskets or asks to go to the basement to take some swings with his baseball a brother gets a touch emotional. And even though he isn't cheering for the same teams as me (...yet) sharing moments of the college basketball tournament with him was one of my favorite moments of this or any other year.
Every Sunday he helps me make my 800 cups of coffee, loves to "push the button" to start the washing machine and will let you know when he likes something, quite loudly and enthusiastically. An intelligent, sweet kid who gives the best hugs and still lets me smother him with my hugs and kisses and just giggles uncontrollably.
"The sun is too bright dada"
So to my boy on his day I say to you keep smiling, keep laughing, keep loving. Your dada will always be here for that high five, that hug and to make you a peanut butter sandwich. 

No comments: