Friday, January 26, 2018

NXT Takeover Philadelphia Preview

While the proverbial main event of the weekend is going to the Royal Rumble on Sunday, Saturday is where the smarks shall have their best time. While we may not know how the event on Sunday plays out, the consistent greatness of the Takeover shows should have us all excited. And with the light card the matches should all get a chance to shine.

The Authors of Pain VS The Undisputed Era (NXT Tag Team Championship)
This one is interesting. I think a case can be made for either team to pick up the titles but if I'm booking this the Undisputed Era go over. At this point the Authors of Pain have done everything they can in NXT. It is probably past time to move them up and let them run wild. I like how in the recent weeks their manager Paul Ellering has kind moved to the background and Akam and Rezar have been allowed to speak more. While the AOP has to look good it can't be at the expense of the Undisputed Era. I think it will be a close one but in the end, I expect their speed to give them an impressive win.
Side-note: I have really begun to enjoy the smarmy assholeness that Bobby Fish portrays. More Fish please!
Winners: Undisputed Era

Shayna Bayzler VS Ember Moon (NXT Women's Championship)
Ember Moon finally climbed to the top of the mountain and won the title. Bayzler was a force of dominance in the Mae Young Classic so we knew it was gonna be only a matter of time before they met. I didn't think it would be this soon but I'm not arguing. Ember Moon is one of the most talented women on the roster so I imagine her technical prowess will be played up against the MMA experience of Bayzler.
This is...impressive.
Given that she has had only one title defense so far I would think that she wouldn't lose right away but Bayzler has to look strong. I think this one ends with Moon on top but in a very close, possible roll up or cradle fashion.
Winner: Ember Moon

Aleister Black VS Adam Cole (Extreme Rules Match)
Aleister Black has been one of the most over acts since he arrived in NXT. Adam Cole is one of the best wrestlers in the world and is leading a stable which if done correctly could run NXT until the time for them to be called up. Given that his cohorts will have been put through war earlier in the evening I expect this to be a pretty even affair, but if you are ever gonna have the ERA take over Adam Cole has got to get a win by any means necessary but do it in a fashion as to not bury the cache that Black has built up.
Winner: Adam Cole...BAY BAY! 

Johnny Gargano VS Andrade 'Cien' Almas (NXT Championship)
This one is kind of hard to predict but I am gonna do it anyway. Given that Gargano only got the slot to compete for the 4 way that gave us a number one contender due to injury I don't think he's gonna get the win. That being said this is going to be an amazing match and it could lead to one of the biggest matches of Wrestlemania weekend if this is played right.
I think we'll see the return of the Psycho Killer himself, Tommaso Ciampa who hasn't been seen since telling off the NXT universe. I don't think he gets physically involved but I do think that he will make his presence known and it will be enough of a distraction to further the Johnny can't win the big one narrative.
El Idolo keepin' it tranquilo.
And it can free up Almas to take on someone who is next up as a top babyface like Roddy Strong.
Winner: Almas

There we have it. Another Takeover in the books. Join me next time, same Puma channel, same Puma time.

No comments: