Wednesday, November 15, 2017

NXT Takeover: War Games Preview

Ah yes, it's that time of the month. When I with some degree of accuracy give my predictions as to how the matches of the evening shall proceed. But first I must speak on this momentous news. There were few things that made the old Puma happier in the world of wrestling than the work of Chris Jericho over the last yer. I mean the guy got a damn clipboard over.

Now my current favorite wrestler (non-WWE) is Kenny Omega.

And in January at arguably the best wrestling show of the year Jericho is going to face Kenny Omega and my black nerd heart can barely contain myself. The excitement I have for this match should carry me nicely into February when I may have to take a sabbatical from work to deal with the hypeness I have for Black Panther.

Now without further ado I present to you the matches so far scheduled.

Johnny Gargano VS Pete Dunne (WWE UK Championship)
I am all in on Pete Dunne and there may not be a better natural babyface than Johnny Wrestling. There is absolutely no build up to this match and frankly I only saw it because Brandon Stroud of WithSpandex wrote about it. That said this may be one of those matches that you would hate to follow.
All hail the Bruiserweight
If they were smart they'd give the title to Gargano, introduce it to NXT as a secondary title and get Pete Dunne up to 205 Live to wreck shop. However I feel we'll get treated to a great match but no title switch. And I'll never complain about a Bruiserweight victory.
Winner: Pete Dunne

Lars Sullivan VS Kassius Ohno
This is another match that has no build up. Just a backstage segment where KO asks for the match. That's it. With all that said this is gonna be the definition of a stiff ass hoss fight. Two very oddly athletic big men who like to punch your face into oblivion. While a win by Ohno would be great I think Lars Sullivan goes over just to legitimize him moreso as a terrifying beast.
Winner: Lars Sullivan 

Aleister Black VS The Velveteen Dream 
If you would have told me my favorite story line would involve a Prince cosplayer and a seemingly apathetic satanist I would have called you a liar but here we are. While Black is going to be the man sooner rather than later, Dream is the man who has made this feud.
Seemingly obsessed with making Black say his name and constantly being rebuffed have been compelling stuff. So you know when these two go at it in the ring it is going to be quite the event. That said I think it will be the former Tommy End hitting the Black Mass for the win.
Winner: Aleister Black

Andrade 'Cien' Almas VS Drew McIntyre (NXT Championship)
Another feud with not much build but both of these guys are kind of in the zone right now. The gallant warrior McIntyre versus the manipulative Almas with his manager Zelina Vega (hey boo!) should be a very good match.
Story line wise I think it would make sense for Almas to get the title which could be used as fodder for another feud with Johnny Gargano who could finally win the big one only to be assaulted by...you guessed it, Tomasso Ciampa. As for McIntyre it could set up a redemptive return to the main roster as he kind of has no one to feud with after this unless he's turned heel. I think he could do some amazing things on Smackdown Live.
Winner: Andrade Almas

Ember Moon VS Kairi Sane VS Peyton Royce VS Nikki Cross (NXT Women's Championship)
Had War Games not been added to this card then I imagine this would have been the scene stealer of the night. Ember Moon is wild athletic, Kairi Sane drops the prettiest elbow drop in the business, Nikki Cross may legit be insane and Peyton Royce has the potential to be the biggest star of them all.
Seriously a work of art.
I would imagine this to play out as Ember Moon pulling out all the stops to win the big one but coming up just short as I expect Peyton Royce to walk out with the title. I honestly am hoping this happens just so I can see her and Billie Kay hop away with the title.
Winner: Peyton Royce
  Authors of Pain w/ Roderick Strong VS Sanity VS Undisputed Era (War Games) 
And now we have hit the main event. A match that was conceived by the legendary Dusty Rhodes in the 80s it's about time this match which features a massive cage and 2 rings was brought back. Now this is going to be quite difficult to predict. From a story line standpoint giving the win to Roddy Strong and AOP makes most sense as they all are seeking vengeance. From a logic standpoint I would say the Undisputed Era win. They're a new faction with a charismatic leader destined for big things. This allows AOP to be elevated to the next level, and frees up a tag team spot for either Fish and O'Reilly to take on Sanity going forward.
Winner: Undisputed Era

And there you have it, War Games. Will these be correct? Probably not, but hey you're getting free content.







No comments: