Thursday, September 20, 2012

An Open Letter To Lupe Fiasco



Dear Lupe Fiasco,
Hi Lupe, gotta say I am a big fan of your music sir. “Food and Liquor” was an album that my college neighbors can attest to was always playing in my apartment.  And don’t get me started on the follow up. Sweet mercy, the Puma to this day has been known to get hype to a little “Go Go Gadget Flow.” The work your foundation does here in the city is nothing short of amazing and I can tell you truly do love Chicago and the youth in it as evidenced by your interaction with the *ahem* “eloquent” Chief Keef.  That is why I was so disheartened when I read your latest comments on the subject of voting. 

“Let me heal from the wounds of 400 yrs of institutionalized agony and destruction first then maybe I'll think about voting.” I don’t even know where to begin with this misguided belief of yours. People literally have fought and died for your right to engage in a civic duty of any democracy.  You see whether you agree with the candidates or not, it’s my personal opinions that you owe it to your ancestors, to those who have walked the path before us to vote. I remember growing up hearing stories from my grandmother about that time. She told me about how she and my grandfather had to PAY and take a test to prove they were indeed worthy of the right to vote.  On my 18th birthday, there was an immense sense of pride as I registered to vote and got my voter registration card, a sense of pride I’m guessing you are unfamiliar with.

And how pray tell do you plan on healing “the wounds of 400 yrs of institutionalized agony and destruction”? By releasing some positive rap mix tapes? By staying at home and tweeting self righteously how people like me aren’t as socially aware as people like you?

Well Lupe, let me tell you this, you have no right to complain about society and government if you’re not doing the most basic of civic duties. There are more than just presidential elections but apparently you’re too busy “healing” to vote for local leaders which have more of a day to day impact on the communities you claim to love so.  So Lupe, next time you proclaim a President to be a terrorist or complain about a broken system, ask yourself what you did to make it better.

-The Chocolate Puma

No comments: