Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hip-Hop/ R&B Videos

Recently with the installation of cable tv into my home I decided to do something I haven't done since I was a teenager. That's right folks, I watched some music videos. And I gotta say...not impressed with today's artists (for the purpose of arguing "today" refers to somone who debuted since 2006). Here are my favorite five videos by some people I think with some fantastic artistic value.

5. Make Her Say- Kid Cudi (Man On The Moon: The End Of Day)
I realize his debut is fairly recent, but this video just makes me smile.


4. The Blast- Reflection Eternal (Train of Thought)
My introduction to one of may favorite and one of the best in the game. The simplicity is what I love about it.


3. Still Ray- Raphael Saadiq (Instant Vintage)
Speaking of simplicity, Saadiq and a tuba player is all takes for this simple song of a man pining for his lady.


2. Lauryn Hill- Doo Wop (That Thing), (The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill)
Bringing the old school vibe in the middle of the bling era of hip-hop, Ms. Hill's block party where she has a Supreme's look and a newer urban look as well introduced the mainstream to the one Fugees fan knew as L-Boogie.


1. Kanye West- All Falls Down, Jesus Walks (College Dropout)
I couldn't choose between the two so sue me. All Falls Down is just revolutionary as probably the first video shot from the rapper's point of view. And Jesus Walks...just wow. The message, the visuals, it all ties in so well together, something that artists these days seem to ignore.


No comments: