Saturday, January 28, 2023

Royal Rumble Preview!

So the road to WrestleMania officially begins tonight with the 2023 Royal Rumble. There are plenty of different ways this can play out, I'll just give my humble opinion on what I think will happen not should happen. Granted Vince McMahon coming back into the fold behind the scenes has kind of killed the vibe of the past few months but I'll be an optimist I guess.

Undisputed WWE Universal Championship -- Roman Reigns (c) vs. Kevin Owens:

I don't think the outcome of this match is in any doubt, the Tribal Chief shall remain the head of the table. The real story is going to be a take of two very different stars, Sami Zain and the Rock. The Bloodline storyline with Zain becoming an honorary Uso has been the best story in all of wrestling in my opinion and having the Rock come back just to acknowledge Sami instead of the Tribal Chief would be the perfect jump off to a feud at Mania. 

Winner: Roman Reigns

Raw Women's Championship -- Bianca Belair (c) vs. Alexa Bliss:

Another one where again the ending just isn't in doubt for me. Bianca has been money for over 300 days as champion and I don't expect that to end tonight. The big story being teased is the impeding realignment of Bray Wyatt and Alexa Bliss. And how does Uncle Howdy fit into all of this. Believe me I feel just as silly typing that last sentence as you did reading it.

Winner: Bianca Belair

Bray Wyatt vs. LA Knight (Pitch Black match):

Speaking of the aforementioned Bray Wyatt, this is his return match and again it's not in doubt but can I just take a moment to say I told you so about LA Knight? From the moment he signed I knew from his Impact days that you give this man a mic and he will be the most over person ever and damned if this hasn't worked. Bray Wyatt will win the match but LA Knight has won over the people. And that's just a fact of life. YEAH.

Winner: Bray Wyatt

Men's Royal Rumble:

He wrestled in Hell in a Cell with half a pec ripped off. Of course he's winning.

There are so many ways this could play out but I think we'll get a few surprises, for instance I think Jay White from New Japan makes his debut and a few returning legends, looking at you Edge. I think this comes down however to one man. Cody Rhodes since his return has been booked as a big deal and he has lived up to the hype. I think they find a way to separate the titles off Roman and post Mania Cody begins a lengthy reign on Raw. 

Winner: Cody Rhodes

Women's Royal Rumble:

Rhea Ripley has been booked as a badass for quite a while as well as put up some amazing performances in the Women's rumbles. I expect more surprise entrants in the women's rumble but the person to keep an eye put for Sol Ruca out of NXT. She is wild athletic and going viral weekly for some of the things she pulls off in the ring. 

A preview of Mania?
Winner: Rhea Ripley

So there you have it, my picks for the Rumble, nothing too outside the box but I think the entrants to look out for are Sol Ruca, Carmelo Hayes, and of course the returning Cody Rhodes.


No comments: