Thursday, April 30, 2020

The Last Dance Parts 3 & 4

Here we are with another installment of your boy rambling on and on about one of, if not his favorite topic, Chicago Bulls! Now given that I am in the land of the Pistons I won't dwell on the Bad Boys portion but I will say that I agree with Horace Grant's assessment of the infamous walk off, and their brand of basketball can only be described as thuggery.

That said I will never tire of seeing them broken down and swept the hell out the playoff by my boys. Whew, got that off my chest. Now on to some other things I found to be quite interesting on this special.

*The Cleveland Cavaliers were good before LeBron.
 I think it was good to show people that Cleveland wasn't always a dumpster fire of an organization before LeBron arrived on the scene. Those 80s teams, specifically the ones with Ron Harper, Craig Ehlo, Brad Daughtery, Mark Price and Hot Rod Williams. Also a great bit of trivia when Ron Harper revealed that he wanted to guard Jordan on the infamous last shot over Ehlo. The coach decided to roll with Ehlo for....reasons? Ehlo averaged 5.6 points a game while Harper averaged 19.4 points. And defensively Harper was getting a block and 2.3 steals a night. Ehlo on the other hand was around .9 steals per game and .3 blocks per game. Knowing all that it's understandable that Harper would have this reaction.


*Tex Winter is possibly the greatest assistant coach of all time. 
He doesn't get his due to me which is odd to say about a man in the Hall of Fame but the name does not ring out like it should. Doug Collins as coach had the philosophy of get the ball to Michael and get the fuck out the way. Tex, was a touch more methodical and calculating. It would take the ball out of MJ's hand but his offense would allow other to help him. When another assistant coach you may have heard of named Phil Jackson basically Littlefinger'ed his way to the head coach spot he fully implemented Winter's offense with the caveat that if needed it would still be Jordan time. He fully bought in, it elevated the play of the entire team and we still got the Jordan heroics we had previously gotten. You can argue that Winters was the 3rd most important person to the Bulls ascension to the top of the mountain.

*Dennis Rodman is wildly interesting.
I know this goes against everything Bill Simmons says but Dennis Rodman? Wildly interesting and entertaining. This was a man who in a way was well ahead of his time. On the court he was a basketball genius who by the spin of the ball could tell where it was going to bounce off the rim.
Rodman joined the NWO...during a playoff run.
But off the court, he was really one of the first that I could remember taking his mental health seriously. He felt he was on the verge of a mental breakdown from the stress of the season and what does he do? He basically asked for a mental health day! Granted it was 48 hours in Vegas, but he knows what he needs to get right. Your boy respects that.
*I need a buddy road trip movie starring MJ and Dennis Rodman after he pulled him out of Carmen Electra's hotel suite.
The highlight of Dennis Rodman's midseason Vegas Vacation was that of all people who had to go and retrieve Dennis? Michael Jeffrey Jordan.
"And then I gotta go pull him up out the bed!"
Do you know how hard I would be laughing if I was sitting in a lobby and see MJ pulling Rodman to a car and throwing him in by the nose ring? Rodman, you a wild boy for not only asking for the time off but then blowing past the return date and just chilling.


Well folks I know I am tuning in this Sunday and I suggest you all do the same, otherwise none of this will make sense to you. Ya'll be easy.

No comments: